It’s so easy to enjoy a good bulletproof coffee. Whether during a rainy season or just being by yourself in a coffee shop, coffee will always taste good–especially if you’re a coffeeholic. It might taste even better without worrying much about the calories with coconut oil mixed in. While the coffee and coconut oil combinations aren’t uncommon, many people still don’t realize that these two are a possible mixture.
But why add coconut oil to your coffee in the first place?
- Since coconut oil is popular among people who follow a ketogenic diet, adding it to your coffee helps maintain it. Coconut oil contains fats called medium-chain triglycerides. The MCT is immediately absorbed and transferred to your liver, which will be converted into energy or ketone bodies. The coconut oil in the coffee helps you stay on track with your ketosis, and it also keeps you energized! The combination enables you to stay in ketosis.
- Another type of fat that coconut oil carries is lauric acid. The lauric acid helps fight against germs and other bacteria, warding off any possible sickness. The combination helps boost your immune system.
- The combination helps improve your metabolism. As we grow older, our metabolism grows slower. Improving your digestion is an easy job for coconut oil. To keep flushing out toxins, coconut oil’s properties in your coffee will help push these toxins out and keep you healthy.
With the benefits cleared, let’s talk about the ingredients you need for making bulletproof coffee with coconut oil.
- Coffee – Of course, this is already an obvious main ingredient. It’s recommended that you use instant coffee, espresso, or freshly brewed coffee beans.
- Milk – If you enjoy a creamier coffee, you can add milk to it. Please keep in mind that this ingredient is optional. No type of milk’s specifically used, so rest assured you can mix your favourite milk with the coffee.
- Spices – If you’re into warm/hot coffee, you can use herbs like cayenne or cinnamon to add more flavour. You can also opt for nutmeg or ginger; again, adding spices is optional.
- Coconut Oil is the most important and most likely also an obvious ingredient. Please use extra virgin coconut oil as this is the least processed oil. Unsaturated fat has more concentrated properties to give you the best results.
- Start brewing your coffee like usual.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to your coffee. You can stir or leave it as is since the heat from the coffee will dissipate it.
- You can use a blender until the coffee is brown. Once it is, you’re done!
- You can add creamer, milk, or any spices afterwards.
- You’ll need to blend the additional ingredients well through a blender or frother to get the best out of them.
It’s that easy. But we also have a few tips on making this bulletproof coffee with coconut oil.
- You can sweeten it. It’s okay to add sugar, honey, or whatever ingredient you use to sweeten your coffee.
- Customizing the coffee is okay. You can also cool it off in the fridge if you prefer your coffee cold or add more ingredients to the mixture to get the taste you want.
You can try this recipe every day if you have all the ingredients or even during the weekends! It’s best to have it in the morning to go about your day energized and healthy.