Arthritis can happen to anyone of any age, race, or gender. Although it may commonly occur in adults, there are still possibilities when it can happen to young people. It’s a condition in the joint that causes pain when a person affected is moving. It may interrupt their everyday life because even the lightest chores will cause pain, even climbing the stairs.
In this article, we’ll cover the following:
- Coconut oil may help alleviate the pain caused by arthritis because
- Massage to affected joints after a warm bath or shower
- Take it orally
- Cotton cloth cushion with coconut oil
- Mix it up with camphor and massage
- Mix it up with molasses or apple cider vinegar and massage
With the pain and inability to move around even with the simplest actions, people who suffer from arthritis turn to prescription medications. While some drugs may work, it’s inevitable that because they’re chemically made, they may cause further complications. So why not use a natural and organic method of healing arthritis pain?
Coconut oil considered a wonder oil by many, can also naturally ease arthritis pain. Doctors of natural medicine have been advising arthritis patients to try coconut oil. It’s organic, affordable, and may not have any side effects like prescription drugs.
Coconut oil is created by squeezing the fat from the big nut’s white “meat.” Saturated fats account for about 84 percent of its calories.
Types of Coconut Oil to look for:
Virgin Coconut Oil
When it comes to coconut oil, there isn’t much of a distinction between virgin and extra-virgin. The least refined and most healthy coconut oil is virgin coconut oil. It’s created from dried coconut meat called copra, which is taken from the shell and pressed to extract the natural oils. The flavor of virgin coconut oil is often nutty and sweet.
Refined Coconut Oil
Refined coconut oil, unlike virgin coconut oil, has no discernible coconut flavor or scent. Many of these types are manufactured with high temperatures and harsh chemicals, which might damage the oil’s valuable antioxidants. Refined coconut oil has gone through a bleaching and deodorizing procedure.
Types of Arthritis
Arthritis is a group of diseases that cause pain, swelling, and joint stiffness. Osteoarthritis is the most frequent kind of arthritis. Other variations include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
How Can Coconut Oil Help Ease Joint Pain Caused By Arthritis?
Coconut oil has several health benefits and may help alleviate the pain caused by arthritis because:
- It helps relieve inflammation because of its natural anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut oil is full of medium-chain fatty acids that help to restore the damaged tissues that cause inflammation in the joint. It consists of anti-inflammatory and analgesic agents that help ease the inflammation.
- It helps lubricate the joints. Coconut oil has extra lubricating powers compared to other oils. It absorbs faster than any other lubrication agent. It eases the stiffness in the joints by greasing it to promote better movement.
- It helps strengthen bones. Weak bones can cause arthritis, so having healthier bones could mean arthritis relief. Coconut oil can help to strengthen bones by increasing the calcium and magnesium levels in the body.
- The medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) in coconut oil nourish and energize cells. It helps reduce pain and less inflammation.
- Antioxidant properties included in coconut oil have anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and brain-protective properties.
It helps eliminate causes of infection. Certain types of arthritis are caused by bacterial infections.
Antibiotics may not always be effective in conditions like this because they may not penetrate the tough membranes of the joint. But coconut oil’s natural antibacterial properties can penetrate enough through the joints to help relieve the pain.
- It helps promote blood circulation. Coconut oil helps promote better blood circulation. Better blood flow may help lessen the pain caused by arthritis.
How To Use Virgin Coconut Oil For Arthritis?
After reading how coconut oil works to relieve arthritis conditions, here are some proven ways to use coconut oil for arthritis symptoms/pain.
Massage to affected joints after a warm bath or shower.
After a hot bath or shower, gently rub a light coat of coconut oil on the affected joints. The hot bath will help soften the joints, making coconut oil easier to seep through. It helps lessen the swelling, so the pressure on the joints is also reduced. You can do this before doing anything physically like exercise or a walk. Massage it regularly for better results.
Take it orally.
Ingesting coconut oil daily is also effective, especially when treating arthritis inflammation caused by infections. Coconut researchers suggest ingesting 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily to help combat chronic body pain, especially in the joints. It also benefits other parts of the body.
Cotton cloth cushion with coconut oil.
You can also make a small cushion from a cotton cloth dipped in coconut oil.
Soak a folded cotton cloth in coconut oil and place it in the affected joint. Wrap the fabric with plastic and put a thermal pad on top (the plastic keeps the heat pad from oily). Let it stay on the affected joint for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
You can use the cushioned cloth again. Keep it in a clean, sealed plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator.
Mix it up with camphor and massage.
Camphor, another natural therapeutic agent, when paired with coconut oil can do wonders. It also has natural anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving agents like coconut oil. Use this mixture by heating natural coconut oil and dissolving camphor in the mixture. Massage the camphor and coconut oil mixture in the affected joint for 10-15 minutes.
Mix it with essential oils, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and massage.
Apple cider vinegar and molasses have natural healing effects. When mixed with coconut oil, it intensifies its effect. Stick with the 1:1 ratio when using this mixture. Please mix one (1) teaspoon coconut oil with one (1) apple cider vinegar or molasses. Gently massage it to the affected joint.
There’s no denying that nature has brought us so many joys. Others are yet to be discovered. One good example is coconut oil. It’s an all-purpose oil. You can use it everywhere, and most of its users have proven to be effective.
While coconut oil can do wonders in relieving pain caused by arthritis, you should also accompany it with a healthy diet and some trivial exercise. There’s no use in massaging coconut oil over and over if you don’t take care of your body. A regular visit to your physician is still suggested to keep track of your health.
If the pain keeps on bothering you, see a doctor immediately.
Coconut Oil for Arthritis Dosage
For arthritis, there is no set amount of coconut oil to take. You can help decrease inflammation by taking 2 grams of coconut oil orally daily.
It has been shown that consuming 10ml of coconut oil 2-3 times a day for up to 12 weeks is safe. You can substitute other cooking oils with coconut oil. For topical use, use coconut oil and gently rub it into the skin or joints. It is quickly absorbed into the skin.