In this article we’ll cover the following:
- How does coconut oil help?
- How to Use Coconut Oil for Ringworm?
- Coconut Oil and Garlic Essential Oil
Ringworm or what’s medically termed as tinea is a common fungal infection. Certain fungi can help our body. However, a particular type of fungi called as dermatophytes can irritate the skin and lead to infection. Almost seven out ten people have experienced ringworm once in their life. It may be called as ringworm, but worms don’t cause it.
It’s a contagious skin infection that can easily be passed on from one person to another.
When you’re infected with ringworm, it may cause a particular part of your skin to create a scaly rash that appears like a ring or round shape. That’s why it’s called as ringworm. The fungal infection causes itchiness and discomfort. They usually appear on the skin, scalp, groin and other moist areas of your body.
There are many commercial antifungal creams in the market. However, if you want something natural remedy that’s super efficient, try using coconut oil! Yup, coconut oil can also help cure a ringworm infection.
How does coconut oil help?
Here’s what coconut oil can do to help treat ringworm:
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid that has anti-fungal properties. It helps fight against the fungus that causes ringworm and inhibits its growth. Lauric acid also helps dissolve the fatty membranes of the microbes to kill them.
- Coconut oil has a soothing effect, and it may help you ease the itchy feeling caused by ringworm.
- Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve the swelling and redness of the infection.
- Coconut oil won’t leave your skin dry just like any creams available in the market. In fact, it’ll moisturize that area while healing it.
- Coconut oil quickly penetrates into the skin which makes it an ideal ringworm treatment.
- Coconut oil helps restore the skin’s protective barrier to protect you from further infections.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Ringworm?
After knowing all of coconut oil’s amazing facts, it’s time to know how to use it!
- First thing, wash the infected area thoroughly with soap and warm water.
- Then, wash your hands thoroughly before and after treatment.
- Now it’s time to dry your skin.
- Apply coconut oil to the affected area and massage it gently. It’s advisable to use disposable gloves to apply coconut oil as ringworm can spread quickly.
- Leave the coconut oil on the skin.
To make this natural remedy using coconut oil more efficient, do the following steps four to seven times a day. You can also make a coconut oil bandage. Just put some coconut oil in the affected area and cover it with a bandage. It’s as effective as the steps I mentioned earlier.
If your ringworm is on your scalp, apply coconut oil at night before you sleep. Leave it overnight and rinse your scalp the following morning to remove the residue from the infection and coconut oil.
You can also mix coconut oil with other essential oils if you wish. You can try this recipe as a natural ringworm remedy.
Coconut Oil and Garlic Essential Oil
As you all know, garlic is one of the best natural antifungal remedies. So, mixing it with coconut oil can make a perfect pair for treating ringworm!
You’ll need: 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 2 drops of essential garlic oil
Just blend the oils and massage it onto the ringworm-infected areas after cleaning the skin. Apply it regularly until the ringworm disappears.