Arthritis can happen to anyone of any age, race, and gender. Although it may commonly occur in adults, there are still possibilities when it can happen to young people as well. It’s a condition in the joint that causes pain when a person affected is moving. It may interrupt their everyday life because even the lightest chores will cause pain, even climbing the stairs.
In this article we’ll cover the following:
- Coconut oil may help alleviate the pain caused by arthritis because
- Massage to affected joints after warm bath or shower
- Take it orally
- Cotton cloth cushion with coconut oil
- Mix it up with camphor and massage
- Mix it up with molasses or apple cider vinegar and massage
With the pain and inability to move around even with the simplest actions, people who suffer from arthritis turn to prescription medications. While some drugs may work, it’s inevitable that because it’s chemically-made, they may cause some further complications. So why not try and use a natural and organic method of healing arthritis pain?
Coconut oil considered a wonder oil by many, can also naturally ease arthritis pain. Doctors of natural medicine have been advising arthritis patients to try coconut oil. It’s organic, affordable and may not have any side effects like prescription drugs.
How can coconut oil help ease arthritis pain?
Coconut oil may help alleviate the pain caused by arthritis because:
- It helps relieve inflammation. Coconut oil is full of medium-chain fatty acids that helps to restore the damaged tissues that cause inflammation in the joint. It consists of anti-inflammatory and analgesic agents that help ease the inflammation.
- It helps lubricate the joints. Coconut oil has extra lubricating powers compared to other oils. It absorbs faster than any other lubrication agents. It eases the stiffness in the joints by greasing it to promote better movement.
- It helps strengthen bones. Arthritis pain can be caused by weak bones, so having healthier bones could mean lesser exposure to arthritis. Coconut oil can help to strengthen bones by increasing the calcium and magnesium levels in the body.
It helps eliminate causes of infection. Certain types of arthritis are caused by bacterial infections.
Antibiotics may not always be effective in conditions like this because they may not penetrate the tough membranes of the joint. But with coconut oil’s natural antibacterial properties, it can penetrate enough through the joints to help relieve the pain.
- It helps promote blood circulation. Coconut oil helps promote better blood circulation. Better blood flow may help lessen the pain caused by arthritis.
How to use coconut oil for arthritis pain?
After reading how coconut oil works to relieve arthritis pain, here are some proven ways to use coconut oil for arthritis pain.
Massage to affected joints after warm bath or shower.
After a hot bath or shower, gently rub a light coat of coconut oil on the affected joints. The hot bath will help soften the joints, somehow making the coconut oil easier to seep through. It helps lessen the swelling so the pressure on the joints reduces as well. You can do this before doing anything physically like exercise or a walk. Massage it regularly for better results.
Take it orally
Ingesting coconut oil on a daily basis is also effective, especially when you’re trying to treat arthritis pain caused by infections. Coconut researchers suggest ingesting 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily to help combat against chronic body pain especially in the joints. It also benefits other parts of the body.
Cotton cloth cushion with coconut oil
You can also make a small cushion out of a cotton cloth dipped in coconut oil.
Soak a folded cotton cloth in a coconut oil and place it in the affected joint.
Wrap the fabric with plastic and put a thermal pad on top of it (the plastic keeps the heat pad from being oily).
Let it stay on the affected joint for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
You can use the cushioned cloth again. Just keep it in a clean sealed plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator.
Mix it up with camphor and massage.
Camphor, another natural therapeutic agent, when paired with coconut oil can do wonders. It’s also known to have natural anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving agents like the coconut oil. Use this mixture by heating up natural coconut oil and dissolve camphor in the mixture. Massage the camphor and coconut oil mixture in the affected joint for 10-15 minutes.
Mix it up with molasses or apple cider vinegar and massage.
Apple cider vinegar and molasses have natural healing effects. When mixed with coconut oil, it intensifies its effect. Stick with the 1:1 ratio when using this mixture. One (1) teaspoon of coconut oil should be mixed with one (1) teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or molasses. Gently massage it to the affected joint.
There’s no denying that nature has brought us so many joys. Others are yet to be discovered. One good example is coconut oil. It’s an all-purpose oil. You can use it everywhere, and it has been proven to be effective by most of its users.
While coconut oil can do wonders in relieving arthritis pain, you should also accompany it with a healthy diet and some trivial exercise. There’s no use in massaging coconut oil over and over if you don’t take care of your body as well. A regular visit to your physician is still suggested to keep track of your health.
If arthritis pain keeps on bothering you, see a doctor immediately.